Sunday, October 25, 2009

Kat's new hat


I finally finished Kat's new slouchy beret.  It's only been a month and a half.  Sorry kiddo!  I got sidetracked by some other projects.  I got the pattern off of Ravelry.com  It's called Star crossed slouchy beret by Natalie Larson.  It's very easy and fun to make.  This is actually the second one I've made.  
 Here is a peek at the first.


Friday, October 23, 2009

Yummy Mummy!



These are the cupcakes I sent to school for Emma's birthday.  They were so easy!  I found them here at Hope Studios.


Thursday, October 22, 2009

Finally got my Halloween things up


We've been so busy lately helping my parents move that I haven't had much time for anything else.  I actually got a whole day at home today with no interruptions.  Hooray!  Here's my ladder that Kevin made me all spookified.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Simple pumpkins


I don't remember what site I saw these on, but it was a few weeks ago and they have just stuck in my head as something I would like to do.  And it was soo easy.  I didn't measure it and just had Kevin cut a 2x4 where I had marked it.  Then he drilled a hole in the top of each block to match the stick I cut for stems.  I sanded all three pieces down and rounded the edges a tad.  I painted them and glued the stem into place and let them sit to dry.  I distressed them with watered down black paint and rubbed it on lightly with a rag.  I cut a strip from a remnant and pulled the edges to fray it.  Tied it on and voila!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Quick Halloween decoration



I saw a post on The Graphics Fairy where someone had made Halloween potion bottles so I thought I could come up with my own more macabre creation.




I saved a couple of bottles from the recycling bin and soaked them to get all the labels and sticky stuff off.

I had two paper mache skulls that had been rolling around the house waiting for me to do something with them.  First I cut a hole in the bottom to fit the bottle cap.  I painted them red and black, let them dry, then applied crackle medium.  Once that was dry I painted over the black with a subtle yellow, and over the red I painted white.


While they were drying and doing that magical crackling effect, I found some vintage looking Halloween labels on Love Manor's flickr group, but you can find many different ones online.  I printed them, cut them out and then made them into stickers using my Xyron machine.  I adhered the labels to the bottles and then dripped paint in and on them for added interest.


 
Now to make a spooky vignette somewhere in the house.  I will post pictures when I get it all together.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sweet delight


I have had a craving for lemon squares lately, and luckily (for my tastebuds not my hips and thighs) I happened upon a wonderful site a few days ago called Bakerella.com   So I had to make the lemon squares recipe that was on there.  It was delish!!  The girls loved them and I think we will be making them more often.  Check out all the really great ideas that are on the site.  I'm going to try the cake pops for Emma's birthday treat at school.  I want to try the pumpkin pie bites too!