Saturday, September 26, 2009

Halloween is a coming and Emma already has her costume done.



 

 
 
 







It really turned out cute, although it's hanging sort of funky on the right side in the picture.  I don't have mad sewing skills and it has three different greens but I like it and more importantly Emma likes it. (Especially the tutu)  It cost me $12 to make it, not to bad for a costume considering I usually spend  about 20.  Gotta love remnants and coupons.  On to Katherine's devil costume, it is similar but with a few changes. 

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tutu Mania




I made tutus for Maggie and Emma over the weekend.  I found a few patterns online but sort of took a little from each and did what I like best.  Most of the ways to make them involved ribbon as the waist but I'm lazy and don't want to tie these things every time the girls want to wear them.  So I bought some non-rolling elastic and cut it to fit each of them plus an inch.  I marked them just so I wouldn't mix them up.

 I took out my trusty sewing machine and stitched the elastic together.   This could be done by hand also, but I hate hand sewing. 
 Now for lots of rolling and cutting.  I bought 8 yards of tulle for each tutu.  Roll the tulle into a tube and cut it every 5 inches or whatever size "curlers" (as Maggie and Emma called them) you want.

 Unroll the tubes and cut each strip in half.

Fold a strip of tulle in half and loop around the elastic, pull the two ends trough the loop and Voila!  Keep going until the elastic doesn't show.  I made mine really full and floofy (if that's even a word) but if you don't want it as full just don't use as much tulle. 



Here's Emma in her tutu.  This is the start of her Tinkerbell costume for Halloween. 





 
And here is Maggie in hers.  She's going as a ballerina princess this year.  

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lace-up gloves

I found this great pattern on Ravelry.com for these Lace-up Opera Gloves by Ysolda.  This pair is for Kat but I'm in the middle of making another pair for Mary Kate.  I had to change my needle size from 5 to 8 because the first glove I made was way too small.  Also instead of repeating the pattern rows 12 times I had to cut that down to 8 times, otherwise they would have been up to her armpits.  This was a really easy pattern except for figuring out how to do the left thumb gusset but that is probably just me.  :)  For the lacing I just got a 6 yard spool of grosgrain ribbon. 

Jonas Hat





I want to share all the other crafty things I do besides making soap. So to start off, here is a hat I just finished knitting for Mary Kate. She is crazy about Joe Jonas. (Okay more like obsessed.) Needless to say he had a hat on similar to this one in a picture she has and so I dubbed the hat I made "The Jonas Hat". I know, what an original name but she loves it and it looks great on her.
The hat is a pattern I got off of Ravelry.com called the Star Crossed slouchy beret by Natalie Larson. I love the pattern and it was the first time I've tried doing cables. Very easy and fun!